Friday January 18, 2019
Are Woodburning Stoves Getting Banned?
There has been many rumours in regards to wood stoves being banned we can confirm that there are NO PROPOSALS TO BAN WOOD BURNING STOVES!!!
Ban on wood stoves? The truth of it all
Ban on wood stoves | Clean Air Strategy: No doubt you will have all seen some misleading headlines in recent months about a possible ban on wood stoves. Here, we identify the truth behind the headlines.
On the 22nd May 2018 the Environment Secretary Michael Gove published a Clean Air Strategy which aims to cut air pollution and save lives, backed up through new primary legislation. What does the strategy say and how will it impact you and your customers?
The new strategy, which is out for consultation until the 14th August, is a key part of Defra’s 25 Year Plan to leave our environment in a better state than we found it. HETAS, Woodsure and The Stove Industry Alliance have all been consulting with Defra for some time now and once again Defra has clarified they are not looking to implement a ban on wood stoves.
The Clean Air Strategy summarises actions to reduce emissions from domestic burning, clearly identifying there is no intention to ban wood burning stoves. Here are the key points:
– Legislate to prohibit sale of the most polluting fuels.
– Ensure that only the cleanest stoves are available for sale by 2022.
– Give new powers to local authorities to take action in areas of high pollution, bringing legislation into the 21st century with more flexible, proportionate enforcement powers.
– Work with industry to identify an appropriate test standard for new solid fuels entering the market.
– Ensure that consumers understand what they can do to reduce their impact from burning.
Please call us on 01903 885566 if you have any questions.